24 Mar Job Posting: Seed Specialist
PEI Potato Board is looking for a person who is passionate about the sustainable success of farmers and food production to join their enthusiastic team in the position of Seed Specialist. With direction from General Manager and the Seed / Farm Committee, the Seed Specialist is accountable for ensuring a viable seed potato industry. This position is also accountable for the Fox Island Elite Seed Farm, where seed originates that is used to plant up to 40% of the Island’s commercial potato acreage.
- Coordinator of PEI Potato Board Seed/Farm Committee
- Work with the Seed/Farm Committee to plan PEI seed initiatives for the year, including production and promotional activities
- Represent PEI Potato Board at expos, conferences, and national meetings
- Work with PEI Department of Agriculture staff to organize and carry out the annual Aphid Alert Program
- Participate as a Director on the Board of the Potato Quality Institute
- Communicate information on new varieties, seed production information and seed availability and prices to potato growers based on requests
- Attend appropriate industry meetings, seminars, and conferences
- Assist with export-related activities
- Liaison with federal and provincial governments on regulatory issues pertaining to seed potato production
- Accountable for all activities associated with the efficient and effective operation of the Fox Island Elite Seed Farm
- Including, but not limited to, budget planning, human resources, seed sales, etc.
- Work closely with Farm and Lab managers on production plans for the screenhouse and field
- Follow up with seed buyers on the quality of seed received
- Work with the Seed/Farm Committee on planning and setting policies for the Fox Island Farm and evaluation of farm activities
- Organize appropriate training needs as the season requires – general seed grower meetings, roguing clinics, biosecurity workshops, etc.
- Assist with the publication of the Prince Edward Island Potato News
- Other duties as required
- Post-secondary degree, preferably in agriculture
- Experience in potato production (preferably seed production)
- Eligible for a PEI Professional Agrologist designation
- Strong leadership skills in management and/or supervision
- Knowledge of the factors of potato production
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and multitasking abilities
- Ability to work independently but also with a team
- Attention to detail, task-oriented and works well with tight deadlines
- Capability to occasionally travel to represent PEI Potato Board at different meetings and conferences nationally and internationally
- This position with the PEI Potato Board will provide an hourly wage between $30 – $40 or, based on qualification based on a 37.5-hour work week. A competitive benefits package is also included after the completion of the probation period.
Applications will be received via Indeed only. Drop-ins and phone calls will not be accepted.
Resumes and cover letters will be accepted until 4:00 pm on March 31, 2022.
Inquiries can be made confidently to Jacqui at recruit @resolveHR.cawith “Seed Specialist – PEI Potato Board” in the subject line.
The PEI Potato Board intends to onboard the successful candidate for this position as soon as possible.
As an employer that values diversity in its workforce, we encourage all interested candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $30.00-$40.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate: Charlottetown, PE: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
Education: Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
Experience: Agricultural: 2 years (preferred)
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 2023-03-31